Historic landmark to be new home for SFLG
Siemens Family Law Group will be moving its office to the historic Patton-Parker House in 2016. Located at 95 Charlotte Street, the Victorian-style home was built in 1868 by Thomas Walton Patton, who served as mayor of Asheville in the 1890s.
The Patton-Parker House has been a part of various notable events in Asheville’s history. During the Civil War, the site served as a military encampment known as “Camp Patton,” used by both Union and Confederate forces. In 1894, Helen Morris Lewis conducted a meeting at the Patton-Parker House for a community rally that led to the formation of the North Carolina Equal Suffrage Association. Thomas Walton Patton and his sister, Frances Louisa, worked to reform jails and prisons and to improve the welfare of women, children and people living in poverty. They were also instrumental in the formation of Mission Hospital, the public library, and the YMCA and YWCA. The African-American community known as “Mountainside” was originally part of the Patton holdings, and the Patton family donated land to establish several local churches, including First Presbyterian Church, Trinity Episcopal Church, and St. Matthias Episcopal Church.
The Patton-Parker House is on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated a Local Historic Landmark by the City of Asheville. Siemens Family Law Group looks forward to becoming a part of the history of this Asheville landmark!